By David Hanson MP / Latest News / 0 Comments

HANSON CALLS FOR ACTION AS WALES IS NAMED CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING HOTSPOT FOR SECOND YEAR RUNNING

In response to a report by CORGI, the UK’s gas safety watchdog, which revealed the Wales is one of the worst places in the UK to be affected by carbon monoxide poisoning, David Hanson said:

“This research reveals an alarming lack of knowledge about carbon monoxide across Wales, which is putting lives at risk. I urge all my constituents to fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm and have their gas appliances checked annually by a CORGI registered installer to prevent any further tragedies.”

Wales experienced three carbon monoxide poisoning incidents during the reporting period. These incidents resulted in three deaths and left 10 people injured. The main cause of all carbon monoxide incidents came down to a lack of servicing and maintenance of gas appliances (52%).

The report showed that although the vast majority of people (80%) in Wales believe that they know about carbon monoxide poisoning, when questioned further approximately 10% of people who said they has a good knowledge could not correctly identify the symptoms.

The report also revealed that the appliance that is most responsible for incidents is gas boilers. This is followed closely by gas fires.

ENDS

  1. CORGI is the body charged by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) to maintain a register of competent gas installers in Great Britain, Northern Ireland, Guernsey and the Isle of Man.
  2. The hotspot regions for carbon monoxide poisonings, in order, are: London, Yorkshire, the Midlands and Wales.