By David Hanson MP / Latest News / 0 Comments

Hanson Backs Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week

Delyn MP David Hanson has given his support to the CO (carbon monoxide) Awareness Week, organised by campaign group CO Awareness, by reminding homeowners and landlords of the dangers of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

Last year research commissioned by the HSE (Health and Safety Executive) as a part of its wider gas safety review revealed that 45 % of households were unaware of the dangers of CO poisoning from gas appliances, which killed 16 people in 2005/06.

Often referred to as ‘the silent killer’ CO fumes are particularly dangerous because they cannot be detected. You cannot see, smell or taste the fumes, which in extreme cases can kill without warning in a matter of hours.

HSE advise that if you suspect your appliance is giving out excess carbon monoxide you should switch the appliance off, ventilate the room, visit your GP as a matter of urgency and ensure that a CORGI-registered installer makes the necessary repairs.

CO is produced when there isn’t enough air for the complete burning of carbon fuels such as gas, oil and coal, which causes an excess of poisonous fumes. Signs that an appliance may be leaking excess carbon monoxide include:
* Yellow or orange flames (except for fuel-effect fires which display this colour flame);
* Soot or stains around the appliance; and
* A pilot light that frequently blows out

More information on gas safety is available at:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/index.htm

David Hanson said:

“As the winter nights draw in more and more people are using their heating systems for warmth and it is vital that people understand the importance of having their gas appliances regularly serviced and maintained. Such checks should be carried out by a CORGI-registered installer and using audible carbon monoxide detectors could play a key role in saving lives

“Landlords are required by law to have their tenants’ gas appliances and systems maintained and annual safety checks carried out.