By David Hanson MP / Latest News / 0 Comments

David Hanson MP Warns of Carbon Monoxide Risk

David Hanson MP has urged Delyn residents to protect themselves against the deadly threat of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. New research from the Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! campaign shows that 63% of households in Wales could be at risk of poisoning by not having an audible Carbon Monoxide alarm. 

 

 

Carbon Monoxide – known as the silent killer – is a highly poisonous gas that has no colour, taste or smell, making it impossible to detect without an alarm. It is produced when fuel-burning appliances, such as gas boilers, cookers or fires, are incorrectly fitted, badly repaired or poorly maintained, or if flues, chimneys or vents are blocked.

 

David Hanson is supporting the Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! campaign which encourages people to ensure they have an audible Carbon Monoxide alarm and that they have all fuel-burning appliances serviced annually by a registered and qualified engineer.

 

David Hanson MP, said:

 

“Carbon Monoxide is a deadly gas that you can’t see, smell or taste. Too many people are dying or suffering severely from Carbon Monoxide poisoning, and we need to take action. I urge every resident in Delyn to make sure that they have an audible alarm and that they have their fuel-burning appliances serviced each year by a professional.”

 

“I would like to see a requirement for all new homes to be fitted with an alarm and also for landlords to be encouraged to provide an alarm in their properties.”

 

Oliver Wright, Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! campaign manager, said:

 

“Our campaign aims to raise awareness and to dispel the myths around Carbon Monoxide alarms. They are available at DIY stores, supermarkets, high street shops or directly from energy suppliers. They cost around £20, but many retailers are offering special discounts in support of our campaign throughout January. Importantly, they save lives.”

 

The Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! campaign recommends four simple steps to keep your household safe:

 

  • Fit an audible Carbon Monoxide alarm which should be marked with the ‘EN50291? safety standard
  • Have fuel-burning appliances serviced annually by a registered professional
  • Don’t block ventilation and get chimneys swept at least once a year
  • Learn about the danger signs and symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning at www.co-bealarmed.co.uk

 

ENDS

 

NOTES TO EDITORS

 

For more information about the campaign, case study details or photography, contact the Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! team on 020 7492 0999 or emailpress(at)co-bealarmed.co.uk

Research

 

All figures, unless otherwise stated are from YouGov plc. Total sample size was 2,108 adults. Fieldwork was undertaken between 7th and 9th December 2010. The survey was carried out online. The figures have been weighted and are representative of all GB adults (aged 18+).

 

About the campaign

Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! is the national campaign to reduce the number of deaths and injuries caused by Carbon Monoxide. The campaign is run by Energy UK on behalf of Britain’s six major gas and electricity companies in partnership with the Dominic Rodgers Trust, and is supported by more than 40 other organisations.

 

Carbon Monoxide is produced when fuel-burning appliances are incorrectly fitted, badly repaired, poorly maintained or if flues, chimneys or vents are blocked.

 

As well as raising awareness of the dangers of Carbon Monoxide and preventative action people should take to protect themselves, such as purchasing an EN50291 audible alarm, this campaign is seeking support for two legislative changes which will make a major difference:

 

1)      In order to receive a gas safety certificate, landlords should offer tenants an audible Carbon Monoxide alarm. This would ensure that many of the most vulnerable members of society are offered the protection of a Carbon Monoxide alarm. The existing legal requirement for a gas safety certificate means that an appropriately qualified and registered installer checks the safety of gas appliances.

2)      Every new home should be fitted with an audible Carbon Monoxide alarm.To mirror the current requirement for a wired-in smoke alarm to be fitted in all new-build homes, Building Regulations should be amended to require an audible Carbon Monoxide alarm to be installed. This is a simple measure, which will add no significant cost to the home builders. Following a consultation exercise in 2008-9, the Government amended part J of the Building Regulations to require the provision of a Carbon Monoxide alarm when solid fuel appliances are installed. We believe this requirement should be extended, via the next review of the Building Regulations, to cover the installation of all fuel appliances.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning

Carbon Monoxide poisoning can be difficult to diagnose as the symptoms can resemble those of food poisoning or the flu. The most common symptoms of mild Carbon Monoxide poisoning are: nausea, dizziness, tiredness, headaches and abdominal pain. Some people may also vomit.

The longer someone breathes in Carbon Monoxide, the worse the symptoms will get. They may lose their balance, vision and memory and, eventually, they will lose consciousness. This can all happen within two hours if there is a lot of Carbon Monoxide in the air.